Monday, November 26, 2012

GUYKU: A Year of Haiku for Boys

GUYKU: A Year of Haiku for Boys By Bob Raczka
Grades 1 and up

I just die for this book. Seriously. It's not just haiku for boys, it's haiku for kids, for grownups who still wish they were kids, for absolutely anyone who was ever a kid, ie everyone. It's divided into seasons and I have to share a few of my absolute faves.

I watch the worms squirm
and decide to bait my hook
with hot dog instead

Mosquito lands on
my cheek. I try to slap her,
but I just slap me.

Hey, who turned off all
the crickets? I'm not ready
for summer to end.

How many million
flakes will it take to make a 
snow day tomorrow?

Lesson Seed: This book begs to be read aloud and then turned into a class book of haiku poems, either season based or not. Just have fun with it and get those kids writing poetry. Bob Raczka explains a little about Haiku and why he wrote the book on the last page.

No comments:

Post a Comment