Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Underwear Salesman

The Underwear Salesman by J. Patrick Lewis
Grades 1 and beyond

The days of dry poems are so OVER! It used to be if you wanted to read funny, silly, creative, laugh-out-loud poems to children you were pretty limited. I mean there was Shel Silverstein, Jack Prelutsky, the lesser known Brod Bagert, but then....cricket cricket. Not much else comes to mind. Well I just recently ordered some amazing poetry books for the library and I can't wait to share them with you.

The Underwear Salesman is hysterical and just so creative. These are rhyming poems and each page highlights a different career. Some are very short and others are 4 or 5 stanzas. My favorite is the poem called "Exterminator"

I come to de-bug
What's under de rug.

Simple, cute, funny! I would highly recommend buying this to read at home with your family or to use in your classroom when doing any poetry study. As with most great poetry there are layers of humor and meaning so even older children (or adults) will enjoy this book and will get jokes that might be missed by younger children.

No comments:

Post a Comment